[CentOS] CentOS-7 on a USB stick

Fri Jul 11 10:38:26 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I see now that it didn't install for other reasons:
> -----------------------------
> [tim at alfred ~]$ sudo yum install livecd-iso-to-disk
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
> epel/metalink
> |  24 kB     00:00
>  * base: mirror.euserv.net
>  * epel: mirror.i3d.net
>  * extras: it.centos.contactlab.it
>  * rpmforge: nl.mirror.eurid.eu
>  * updates: mirrors.prometeus.net
> epel
> | 3.7 kB     00:00
> epel/primary_db
> | 2.0 MB     00:03
> Error: xz compression not available
> -----------------------------
>
> I'm not sure what this means, or what I can do about it?

I see on googling that this was a problem with the epel repository.
I'm not sure if I installed the CentOS-7 version by mistake,
while I am currently running CentOS-6.5.
(I'm upgrading to CentOS-7 bit-by-bit, hence the error.)
On running
  sudo rm -rf /etc/yum.repos.d/epel*
I was able to run yum normally.

--