[CentOS] How can I connect CentOS7 via xdmcp?

Mon Jul 28 14:43:21 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Kosuke Yagi <kosuke at wake.org> wrote:

> Does any one success to connect CentOS7 via xdmcp?
> I've tried, but not yet succeeded.
>
> 1) CentOS7 with Development and Creative workstation
> 2) Disabled SELinux by editing /etc/selinux/config
> 3) Disabled firewalld by systemctl disable firewalld
> 4) Enabled xdmcp by editing /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>   Adding "Enable=true" in [xdmcp] section
> 5) reboot
> 7) connect from windows7 PC with Xming-6.9.0.31
>    "One window" mode with xdmcp connection
> -> This is not working.
>
> How I can do next step?
>

> Additional information,
> I can open single Xterm window through Xming "Multiple windows" mode,
> but I can't open gnome-terminal with same way.
>
> I guessed this means thomething wrong in gnome or gdm working witn
> remote X or xdmcp.
> But I have no idea to resolve it.

I can't help with xdmcp, but if you are connecting from something
capable of running the x2go client (linux/windows/mac) you can use
that instead ([packages in EPEL).   It doesn't work with the stock
gnome3 desktop due to the 3d requirements, but KDE or the MATE desktop
from EPEL work fine. (MATE is a fork of gnome2 and has a very familiar
feeling...).

X2go has the advantage of being able to disconnect/reconnect sessions
and will have better performance than native remote X on networks with
latency.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com