[CentOS] Information Week: RHEL 7 released today

Wed Jun 11 14:04:31 UTC 2014

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Red Hat released the 7.0 version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux today, with
>> embedded support for Docker containers and support for direct use of
>> Microsoft's Active Directory. The update uses XFS as its new file
>> system.
>
> Does XFS have any advantages over ext4 for normal users, eg with laptops?
> I've only seen it touted for machines with enormous disks, 200TB plus.

That's monstrous. No, what I've read is that you want to use it when you
need to go over 16TB. I've seen a lot of comments, and I think one or two
in code that I googled, for ext4 that says "really need to fix this to
handle > 16TB"... and I start seeing it around '09 or '10, and it's
generally documented, I believe, that this is still the case. (And you
*don't* want to do an fsck on a multi-TB filesystem that people need to
use that day, or the next....)

> Does XFS have the same problems that LVM has if there are disk faults?

No data.

      mark