[CentOS] Information Week: RHEL 7 released today

Wed Jun 11 14:40:41 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Red Hat released the 7.0 version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux today, with
>> embedded support for Docker containers and support for direct use of
>> Microsoft's Active Directory. The update uses XFS as its new file system.
>
> Does XFS have any advantages over ext4 for normal users, eg with laptops?
> I've only seen it touted for machines with enormous disks, 200TB plus.

It is generally better at handling a lot of files - faster
creation/deletion when there are a large number in the same directory.
   The only down side for a long time has been on 32bit machines where
the RH default 4k kernel stacks were too small.

> Does XFS have the same problems that LVM has if there are disk faults?

You can't really expect any file system to work if the disk underneath
is bad.  Raid is your friend there.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com