[CentOS] Information Week: RHEL 7 released today

Thu Jun 12 19:54:23 UTC 2014

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
>
>> This little bit here is awesome and made me laugh.  Thanks!
>
> Agreed. Warren wins the Internet today.
>
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [*] The absolute XFS filesystem size limit is about 8 million
>>> terabytes, which requires about 500 cubic meters of the densest HDDs
>>> available today.  You'd need 13 standard shipping containers (1 TEU)
>>> to transport them all, without any space for packing
>>> material.  If we add 20% more disks for a reasonable level of
>>> redundancy and put them in 24-disk 4U chassis and mount those
>>> chassis in full-size racks, we need about half a soccer field of floor
space --
>>> something like ~4000 m^2 -- after accounting for walking space, network
>>> switches, redundant power, and whatnot to run it all.  It's so many HDDs
>>> that you'd need four or five
>>> full-time employees in 3 shifts to respond to drive failures fast
enough to keep an 8 EiB array from falling over due to insufficient
redundancy. You simply wouldn't make a single XFS filesystem that big
today, so QED: effectively unlimited.

Let's see, how many grad students did the first digital computer need to
replace the burned-out tubes? Was it about that many?

But I agree, he does win the 'Net for today. I propose we award him one
(1) valuable resource... say, an IPv4 address. <g>

        mark