[CentOS] gnutls bug

Rejy M Cyriac rcyriac at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 12:51:45 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 12:27 PM, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> I have some sympathy for Michael. There are organisations which are so
> paranoid that they will not allow updates between eg 6.4 and 6.5, either
> because they insist on rigorous (ie lengthy and time consuming) regression
> testing of applications or because a third party package vendor specifies a
> particular level of OS for their product (I can think of at least two).

It is very unfortunate that many organisations and vendors put up
restrictions without examining the technical details of specific
environments, thus treating 6.4 and 6.5 like separate OS-es. The
restrictions are put up with the intention of protecting the environment
from getting broken by incompatibility that may be brought in by new
packages, but the irony is that by sticking to these restrictions, they
are broken already with respect to bug fixes and security fixes
available with updates not being applied. They need to be educated that
API and ABI compatibility will not be broken across minor releases of a
single major version. It is essentially a confusion between update and
upgrade, I feel.

- rejy (rmc)