[CentOS] VMware-tools has 4 options only for resolution!

Mon Mar 3 02:48:30 UTC 2014
Ted Miller <tedlists at sbcglobal.net>

On 02/17/2014 02:12 AM, Yawei Guo wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> It is surprised that VMware-tools gives 4 options only for resolutin after
> I install VMware-tools for CentOS release 5.10 (Final), a guest OS running
> with VMware player 6.0.1 build-1379776. The kernal is 2.6.18-371.4.1.el5
> x86_64 x86_64. The host system is win7 64bit OS. The hardware is Thinkpad
> T440S with a FHD display, 1920 X 1080. The following is what I get when I
> run vmware-config-tools.pl. The VMware-tools is
> VMwareTools-9.6.1-1378637.tar.gz. I think that is the latest version.
>
> CODE: SELECT ALL
> <https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44910#>Please
> choose one of the following display sizes that X will start with:
>
> [1]  640x480
> [2]  800x600
> [3]  1024x768
> [4]< 1280x800
> Please enter a number between 1 and 4:
>
> [4] 4
>

> Obviously it does not contain the resolution I need. The information I get
> with getinfo.sh has one line "VGA compatible controller [0300]: VMware SVGA
> II Adapter [15ad:0405]"
>
> VMware-tools worked well when I installed CentOS 5.5 for my virtual
> machine. What's wrong? Would you please help me? Thank you.
>

> Best Regards,
> Yawei

I realize this is old, but one of the purposes of installing VMWare Tools
is so that the display can resize to match the size of the window on your
display.  You notice that it says "that X will _start_ with".  That is
where it starts, but after it starts you are free to resize it as needed.

Does resizing not work correctly on your laptop?

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA