[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Thu Mar 20 21:34:15 UTC 2014
Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net>

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 18:14 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

> Please don't remove it. Why  this sudden idea in software circles that
> stuff that works properly needs to be removed for no reason whatsoever
> other than "it's old and we think nobody uses it". How do you know?. IF IT
> AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT. You might have heard of it.
>
> Fail2ban is one piece of software which interfaces with tcp wrappers.
> v0.9.0 just out http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Everyone appreciates the importance of keeping machines, and their
contents, safe and secure.

Does "tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny)" provide a currently useful
facility - which is actually used in production systems - or has it been
superseded by better security facilities?

Nothing remains static. Software evolves into usually superior products.
Sentimentally longing for the past hampers the introduction of new and
better replacements. Losing tcp wrappers when Centos 8 is introduced
gives everyone ample time to implement changes.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.