[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Thu Mar 20 22:03:44 UTC 2014
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore? And, would
>> you care strongly if it went away (or would you just migrate to something
>> else)?
>>

>Please don't remove it. Why  this sudden idea in software circles that
>stuff that works properly needs to be removed for no reason whatsoever
>other than "it's old and we think nobody uses it". How do you know?. IF IT
>AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT. You might have heard of it.

This has been a problem with various open source projects for
decades, not so much removing something, but more often changing
options and behaviours that break existing uses.

It wouldn't matter to me if it were dropped from CentOS or the
upstream as we build our own, hacked to allow use of RBLs.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the
people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- George Mason