[CentOS] [CentOS} Does anyone use tcp_wrappers?

Sun Mar 23 23:49:41 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-03-23, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:

> I do not influence Red Hat's decisions. Perhaps it would help if a
> volunteer maintainer emerged as the new TCP Wrappers champion ?

It certainly would, and therein lies the problem: nobody has actually
volunteered for this position.  From the original question posed, it
seems like they would be more inclined to keep it if there were a
maintainer.  Because ultimately that's really the issue: it's not "it
doesn't work now" but "what happens if something breaks in the future?"
And please don't say "what could break?" because that would almost
certainly jinx us, and we'd find a zero-day exploit within hours.  ;-)

I would like to observe that the original post did not state "we are
removing tcp wrappers from RHEL".  It said "we are discussing removing
it from Fedora".

And finally, if it did come to pass that tcp wrappers were removed from
RHEL, a SIG or other group could emerge which could maintain packages
for tcp wrappers for CentOS.  (Yes, admins can compile their own
packages, but that'd be something not directly CentOS-related.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us