[CentOS] plug in phones, speaker does not mute.

Thu May 8 19:00:19 UTC 2014
Matthew Gillespie <gillespiem at pa.net>

Fred Smith <fredex at ...> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Using C6 on an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard with AMD six core FX6300.
> That board uses Realtek ALC892 audio chipset.
>
> For the first time since I got that motherboard I tried plugging in
> headphones to the front panel speaker output. I was somewhat displeased
> to note that the speakers don't mute when that happens.
>
> I recall seeing info on that in Fedora, but not Centos, and haven't
> so far scared up how to troubleshoot it.
>
> I can MANUALLY change the setting in sound preferences, which offers
> only two choices: "Analog Output" and "Analog Headphones".
>
> Suggestions will be welcomed!
>
> Fred

Might have a look at amixer and see if you have an option you can alter
similar to:

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Speaker Only' 'Line Out+Speaker'
  Item0: 'Line Out+Speaker'

And see if you can set it ala:

/usr/bin/amixer -c0 set "Auto-Mute Mode" "Line Out+Speaker"

-Matthew Gillespie