[CentOS] Centos backup tools

Fri May 16 16:42:30 UTC 2014
Steve Lindemann <steve at marmot.org>

On 5/16/2014 8:58 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm building a raid box to use for backups, connectivity will be either
> USB3 or esata.
>
> Looking for suggestions on backup software I can use.
>
>>>snip<<<

There are a number of good ready made choices (backuppc seems to be the
most suggested so far) but you can always grow your own, it just depends
on how "sophisticated" you want to get.  In the office I built a backup
server and a private subnet (using a second gigE interface on each
server) to create a backup network.  Then it was just a little scripting
using nfs to connect and tar for the backups.  It's basic, it's simple
and it works.

What ever you chose be sure that you can do recoveries without having to
install the entire application again.  If the application stores data in
a proprietary format you can be screwed when it comes time to recover.

If you don't already have it, a good read on the subject is:
     Backup & Recovery  by W. Curtis Preston
     http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do

Good luck!
--