[CentOS] Centos backup tools

Fri May 16 18:43:55 UTC 2014
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Steve Lindemann <steve at marmot.org> wrote:
> On 5/16/2014 8:58 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm building a raid box to use for backups, connectivity will be either
>> USB3 or esata.
>>
>> Looking for suggestions on backup software I can use.

> There are a number of good ready made choices (backuppc seems to be the
> most suggested so far) but you can always grow your own, it just depends
> on how "sophisticated" you want to get.  In the office I built a backup
> server and a private subnet (using a second gigE interface on each
> server) to create a backup network.  Then it was just a little scripting
> using nfs to connect and tar for the backups.  It's basic, it's simple
> and it works.
>
> What ever you chose be sure that you can do recoveries without having to
> install the entire application again.  If the application stores data in
> a proprietary format you can be screwed when it comes time to recover.

      That is kinda of what I do at home: I have a 5W openwrt(!)
device which does the backup using rsync and hard links for the
incremental crap. It backs up my fileserver and then certain hosts
(and specific directories since users are NFS mounted). During daytime
it also backups the, well, backup drive to an external drive. Not that
fancy but does the job.

There are a lot of people who like Amanda, but it might be a bit more
time consuming to setup properly