[CentOS] Centos backup tools

Fri May 16 20:37:33 UTC 2014
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 02:43:55PM -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Steve Lindemann <steve at marmot.org> wrote:
> > On 5/16/2014 8:58 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> I'm building a raid box to use for backups, connectivity will be either
> >> USB3 or esata.
> >>
> >> Looking for suggestions on backup software I can use.

> > There are a number of good ready made choices (backuppc seems to be the
> > most suggested so far) but you can always grow your own, it just depends
> > on how "sophisticated" you want to get.  In the office I built a backup
> > server and a private subnet (using a second gigE interface on each
> > server) to create a backup network.  Then it was just a little scripting
> > using nfs to connect and tar for the backups.  It's basic, it's simple
> > and it works.

BackupPC looks like a good tool, but... 1) it requires I configure
Apache, and this is just my personal/home workstation where I don't
really have any other use for Apache, and I don't really feel like having
to learn Apache just to do backups. 2) backuppc config, itself, looks
(potentially) complicated, especially since all I want to backup is my
own PC, to a raid-1 drive set that's locally connected via USB3 or esata.

> > What ever you chose be sure that you can do recoveries without having to
> > install the entire application again.  If the application stores data in
> > a proprietary format you can be screwed when it comes time to recover.

and backuppc seems (in my advanced state of ignorance) like one of those
tools you can't use to recover without first making your system, once
again, bootable, then reinstalling and reconfiguring BackupPC.

>       That is kinda of what I do at home: I have a 5W openwrt(!)
> device which does the backup using rsync and hard links for the
> incremental crap. It backs up my fileserver and then certain hosts
> (and specific directories since users are NFS mounted). During daytime
> it also backups the, well, backup drive to an external drive. Not that
> fancy but does the job.

that's an interesting way of doing it! I have a router with USB
capability,... but I don't think I want my internet gateway to also
be responsible for storing important data--it's just a "thing" I have...
but if I had an extra one I could certainly do that, just turn off
the wireless.

The device I plan to use (if Fedex ever gets it here--can you sense some
impatience? :) ) this:

	http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332028