[CentOS] Centos backup tools

Fri May 16 20:47:19 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Fred Smith
<fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> BackupPC looks like a good tool, but... 1) it requires I configure
> Apache, and this is just my personal/home workstation where I don't
> really have any other use for Apache, and I don't really feel like having
> to learn Apache just to do backups. 2) backuppc config, itself, looks
> (potentially) complicated, especially since all I want to backup is my
> own PC, to a raid-1 drive set that's locally connected via USB3 or esata.

Remember that we are talking about rpm packages here, so that
complicated install process will be
'yum install backuppc
and the config is mostly done through the web forms.  I don't think
you need to know anything about apache itself other than running
htpasswd to make a web login/password.

But if you intend to run it on the same machine as the as the stuff
you want to back up it probably is the wrong tool.  Or the wrong idea
in the first place.

> and backuppc seems (in my advanced state of ignorance) like one of those
> tools you can't use to recover without first making your system, once
> again, bootable, then reinstalling and reconfiguring BackupPC.

Yes, you really want it on a different system from the one with the
valuable data.  However, it does have an option to generate tar
archive snapshots compressed/split so you take them offsite for
archival storage and you can restore from those with just standard
tools.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com