[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Wed May 28 05:29:56 UTC 2014
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 27 May 2014, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 5/27/2014 5:38 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Until recently, I had a 32-bit machine with one monitor running fedora.
>> The later editions of fedora didn't like it, so I switched to CentOS.
>> Now I have two 64-bit machines and two monitors and a CenturyLink router.
>> Also a KVM switch that I have not taken out of the package.
>> My main machine has two video connections
>> and two ethernet connections, eth0 and eth1 .
>>
>> I've never had more than one machine or more than one monitor before.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to use both monitors at once on my main machine.
>> I'd like to be able to switch one monitor
>> between machines without too much trouble.
>> I'd rather not where the pins out.
>> KVM will do this, right?
>> KVM is transparent to the computer, right?
>> My secondary machine sometimes runs Windows,
>> so I'd like it not to have its own global IP address.
>> My first thought would be to connect it directly
>> to one of the ethernet ports on my main machine.
>>
>> How do I go about this?
>> The answer I am expecting is one or more links to tutorials or the like.

> my 2 monitors each have several video inputs.     both monitors are DVI

My monitors have only a single input each.

> IF your monitor and computers use the same video connection as your KVM
> supports, then sure, you could put the KVM on one monitor, and switch it
> and the keyboard between the two computers, the other monitor would stay
> plugged into the one computer that has dual ouputs.

In other words, if it works, the KVM switch is transparent to the computers:
Neither computer will need additional programming.
Good.

If I plug both monitors or one monitor and the KVM switch into
the dual-output computer, it should boot up and use both.
Correct?

> now, about that networking thing.   thats a whole different issue.
> plugging the 2nd computer into the 2nd port on the first computer will
> require the first computer to implement some form of network sharing and
> to configure a 2nd subnet address range on that 2nd port, something like
> 192.168.x.y.

I thought the networking thing might be more interesting.
I was petty sure that each should have a local IP address for the other
and if the 2nd machine wants to contact the outside world,
numero uno will need to know how to mediate the connection.

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods