[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Wed May 28 15:11:29 UTC 2014
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 5/28/2014 1:29 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2014, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2014 5:38 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> Until recently, I had a 32-bit machine with one monitor running fedora.
>>> The later editions of fedora didn't like it, so I switched to CentOS.
>>> Now I have two 64-bit machines and two monitors and a CenturyLink router.
>>> Also a KVM switch that I have not taken out of the package.
>>> My main machine has two video connections
>>> and two ethernet connections, eth0 and eth1 .
>>>
>>> I've never had more than one machine or more than one monitor before.
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to use both monitors at once on my main machine.
>>> I'd like to be able to switch one monitor
>>> between machines without too much trouble.
>>> I'd rather not where the pins out.
>>> KVM will do this, right?
>>> KVM is transparent to the computer, right?
>>> My secondary machine sometimes runs Windows,
>>> so I'd like it not to have its own global IP address.
>>> My first thought would be to connect it directly
>>> to one of the ethernet ports on my main machine.
>>>
>>> How do I go about this?
>>> The answer I am expecting is one or more links to tutorials or the like.
>> now, about that networking thing.   thats a whole different issue.
>> plugging the 2nd computer into the 2nd port on the first computer will
>> require the first computer to implement some form of network sharing and
>> to configure a 2nd subnet address range on that 2nd port, something like
>> 192.168.x.y.
> I thought the networking thing might be more interesting.
> I was petty sure that each should have a local IP address for the other
> and if the 2nd machine wants to contact the outside world,
> numero uno will need to know how to mediate the connection.

It can get fairly "interesting" depending on what you are trying to do.
You may need a special crossover cable to connect the two computers
directly.  The newer network cards may be able to handle doing this with
a standard cable, but I haven't tried it.

Why do you want to connect the two computers like this?  It is usually
more trouble than it's worth unless you want to use the first computer
as a firewall or something.  Just connect both of them to your router
and everything should work fine.

--
Bowie