[CentOS] Centos/RHEL 64bit and ARM questions

Wed May 28 13:56:48 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

> On 05/26/2014 07:47 PM, g wrote:
>>
>> On 05/26/14 22:21, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I am digging a bit into RHEL 7 roadmap info.
>>>
>>> It seems there are statements that RHEL 7 will only support 64 bit. Is
>>> this corrent, and what for Centos 7?
>>>
>>> Also the ARM info I found was the target is ARMv8 which is 64 bit, not
>>> the ARMv7 which is 32bit.
>>>
>>> Any clearification is appreciated.
>> "just the facts", Robert,
>>
>> main page:
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/index.html
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-architectures.html
>>
>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-capabilities_and_limits.html
>>
> So goodby to 32 bit hardware. Thus RHEL/Centos 6 will be around a while
> longer.

Keep in mind that we have a 32bit SIG for CentOS 7. So you should be
able to update if you want to.

> We will have to see where the ARM talk goes. RIght now 'most' hardware
> is armv7, not v8.

With el6, arm was out of reach. It required too many code changes to
really call it 'CentOS' as an end product. CentOS 7 seems to (per the
beta and rc) require far less changes, so we'll be actively taking a
look at both v7 and v8 to see what's feasible.

--
Jim Perrin