[CentOS] Centos/RHEL 64bit and ARM questions

Wed May 28 17:59:46 UTC 2014

On 05/28/2014 09:56 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On 05/26/2014 07:18 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> "just the facts", Robert,
>>>
>>> main page:
>>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/index.html
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-architectures.html
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-capabilities_and_limits.html
>>>
>> So goodby to 32 bit hardware. Thus RHEL/Centos 6 will be around a while
>> longer.
> Keep in mind that we have a 32bit SIG for CentOS 7. So you should be
> able to update if you want to.

What is 'SIG'?  Will I be able to do an install of Centos7 on i386 system?

>> We will have to see where the ARM talk goes. RIght now 'most' hardware
>> is armv7, not v8.
> With el6, arm was out of reach. It required too many code changes to
> really call it 'CentOS' as an end product.

Gathered as much.  I believe it is called Redsleeve rather than Centos  :)

> CentOS 7 seems to (per the
> beta and rc) require far less changes, so we'll be actively taking a
> look at both v7 and v8 to see what's feasible.

Starting to see v8 systems in plans, but I have not seen prices.  I can
afford v7 systems.  Got myself a Cubieboard2 with case and power for $90
in the US.  If I had been willing to order from China, I may have saved
$10 and waited 6-8 weeks.  I have a couple SATA drives for starters, but
even a 500GB sata is only $40.  But the Cubieboard2 is for testing both
Android and Fedora, at 1Gb memory it is a little light for a full Centos
server.  Thus the Cubietruck which comes in at ~$20 more, but still a
v7.  What will their Allwinner A80 based system cost?  Should know that
before the summer is out.  But v7s will be the platform for 'simple'
things like NASs and PBXs, etc.  Now if I can only find a 4 port board
to add, then I could be building a router as well...