[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Wed May 28 16:22:51 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Michael Hennebry
> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > I thought the networking thing might be more interesting.
> > I was petty sure that each should have a local IP address for the other
> > and if the 2nd machine wants to contact the outside world,
> > numero uno will need to know how to mediate the connection.
>
> Physically, you can just plug them together.  If they are gigabit
> interfaces they will automatically handle the crossover part.  And you

+1

Most GigE interfaces (as part of 802.3ab) [0] will support MDI-X
auto-crossover
(pre-standard GigE interfaces might not auto-cross as expected)

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.3ab#1000BASE-T

> can use iptables on the internet-connected box to NAT the outbound
> connections.    However, the common and simple approach is to use a
> home router that will typically provide 4 ethernet connections on the
> LAN side plus wifi for your phone/tablet/laptop.

Or you could bridge the two interfaces (eth0 and eth1 for example) together.
Keep in mind you won't be able to bridge a wired and wireless interface
together (at least with much usability/success), so you'd have to NAT/PAT
Masquerade if a wireless interface is in the mix.