[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Wed May 28 17:05:40 UTC 2014
Stefan Maerz <stefan.maerz at thecommunitypartnership.org>

On 05/27/2014 07:38 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Until recently, I had a 32-bit machine with one monitor running fedora.
> The later editions of fedora didn't like it, so I switched to CentOS.
> Now I have two 64-bit machines and two monitors and a CenturyLink router.
> Also a KVM switch that I have not taken out of the package.
> My main machine has two video connections
> and two ethernet connections, eth0 and eth1 .
>
> I've never had more than one machine or more than one monitor before.
>
> I'd like to be able to use both monitors at once on my main machine.
> I'd like to be able to switch one monitor
> between machines without too much trouble.
> I'd rather not where the pins out.
> KVM will do this, right?
> KVM is transparent to the computer, right?
> My secondary machine sometimes runs Windows,
> so I'd like it not to have its own global IP address.
> My first thought would be to connect it directly
> to one of the ethernet ports on my main machine.
>
> How do I go about this?
> The answer I am expecting is one or more links to tutorials or the like.
I am not sure if it meets your requirements, but Synergy[1] is worth
looking into. Synergy allows you to share a keyboard and mouse over the
network. I am a Synergy junkie. I have three computers running 6 total
monitors at work. Two computers running 4 monitors at home. One
keyboard/mouse for each desk.

Also, some KVMs are transparent to the machine. Others (typically
cheaper ones) function much like manually plugging in and pulling out
the cables. In such cases terminals may give you weird output as it
discovers hardware and you might get the Windows ding when it looses
connection/establishes a connection with the new hardware. Another
potential problem I encountered last night is that Windows lost my
second monitor when I resumed from sleep because I was using the second
computer on the KVM when I resumed. It also might take a few seconds for
the computer to detect the new hardware.

And yes, KVM will do what you want it to (to some extent). I actually
did this last night at work. However it wasn't as seamless as I wanted.
When I had two computers up, I could only use the single monitor
computer as that is where the keyboard and mouse were connected to.

Using one computer with two monitors plus VirtualBox or the like is
another option.

Finally, I'd recomend purchasing a switch. It'll make your life easier
and they are not expensive.

Best Regards,
-Stefan

[1] http://synergy-project.org/