[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Thu May 29 17:26:51 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> My modem/router is a PK5001Z from CenturyLink.
> IIRC a tech support person told me that it uses ppp internally.

The thing looks like a typical NAT router to me.  Are you sure you are
getting public IP numbers on the LAN side?

> With regard to security,
> I would prefer to trust Windows or the modem/router as little as possible,
> hence the desire to connect the Windows box to the main box.
>
> I would like to be able to manipulate the main box
> so that the Windows box is invisible to bad guys,
> i.e. has no global IP address.
> I would like to be able to manipulae the main box
> so that the Windows box cannot connect to the outside world,
> even through the main box.
> On exceptional occasions, e.g. updates,
> I would like to be able to manipulate the main box
> so that the Windows box can connect to the outside world.

If that is all you want, you should be able to use a private-range
subnet to connect the boxes, and run squid as an http proxy when you
want the pass-through.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com