[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Fri May 30 18:58:08 UTC 2014
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Thu, 29 May 2014, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> My modem/router is a PK5001Z from CenturyLink.
> IIRC a tech support person told me that it uses ppp internally.

> I'm going to do some experiments before replying again.
>

> BTW CableOne would give me more than one
> global IP address without paying extra.
> I discovered this playing around with virtual box,
> though I do not even have it installed at the moment.

I've done my experiments.
The primary one was connecting both computers to the router.
My Windows box is booted to CentOS at the moment.

Apparently CenturyLink is not giving me any
globally visible (inside global?) IP address.
ifconfig gives me a different 192.168.*.*
(inside local?) address on each computer.
When I ssh to a globally visible machine,
the return addresses (63.155.*.*) are the
same and the port numbers are different.

Apparently both machines are invisible to the outside
world so long as they do not make outbound connections.

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods