[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Fri May 30 20:03:00 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> I've done my experiments.
> The primary one was connecting both computers to the router.
> My Windows box is booted to CentOS at the moment.
>
> Apparently CenturyLink is not giving me any
> globally visible (inside global?) IP address.
> ifconfig gives me a different 192.168.*.*
> (inside local?) address on each computer.
> When I ssh to a globally visible machine,
> the return addresses (63.155.*.*) are the
> same and the port numbers are different.
>
> Apparently both machines are invisible to the outside
> world so long as they do not make outbound connections.

Yes, that is the normal 'home router' mode where the internet-facing
connection gets the public IP addres and the LAN side uses a private
range that will be source-NAT'ed to the single public address on
outbound connections.   The router should also have options to
port-forward inbound connections to an inside address, either for a
specific port or all of them (DMZ mode) if you do want to accept them
- assuming you have the admin password.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com