[CentOS] CentOS-7 re-install

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Nov 5 20:53:53 UTC 2014

I have booted the system from a live cd.  I am looking at a 1.1GB volume that
I presume is the /boot partition I created in the installer.  Inside I see
this:

config-3.10.0-123.el.x86_64
/grub
/grub2
initramfs-0-rescue-[md5. . .].img
initramfs-3.10.0-123.el.x86_64
initrd-plymouth.img
symvers-3.10.0-123.el.x86_64
System-map-3.10.0-123.el.x86_64
vmlinuz-0-rescue-[md5 as above]
vmlinuz-3.10.0-123.el.x86_64

/grub contains:
 splash.xpm.gz

/grub2 contains:
 /themes

/grub2/themes contains:
    /system

/grub2/themes/system contains:

  nothing at all

So, what does CentOS-7 boot from?  I take it that this is not normal?  So
where are the boot configuration files?  Note, that I have only been working
on this system through the GUI and I I did was install, update, played around
with Gnome3, installed KDE, shutdown and re-installed over the original.

So, whatever happened it is not because of anything one can only screw up from
the cli.  Since the re-install I have not been able to boot from the HDD.
Seeing as there are no boot configuration files I can see why booting is a
problem.  But, how does the installer operate such that these critical files
were not provided?

Canada  L8E 3C3