[CentOS] CentOS-7 re-install

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Nov 7 13:43:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, November 6, 2014 10:02, Tony Molloy wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> From an old email of mine to the list.
>
>>  >
>> Hi Tony
>>
>> Did you receive an answer to your question ? I didn't see anything
>> on the list ! I'm interested too.
>>
>> Thank you
>

> No but I sorted it out myself. I just took a chance, it was on a test
> server anyway ;-)
>
> In the disk partitioning screen you will see the old 6.5 installation.
> Clicking on it will bring up the existing 6.5 partitions. Then select
> each of the existing partitions and a configuration menu comes up which
> allows you to reformat the partition if required. So just don't
> reformat the partitions you want to keep .They then become part of the
> new 7.0 installation.
>
> Hope this helps.

That is exactly what I ended up doing.  It just seems a little odd to me to
require that amount of manual effort when one wants to reuse the entire disk
for a fresh install.  I seem to recall that in 6.5 one could simply tell the
installer to do exactly that.

In any case, somehow I experienced the situation that, even though I had
'deleted' each of the old mount points, the CentOS-7 installer would not reuse
the original boot partition space but instead created a new one.  I am not
sure what was going on or what I did that caused this.  In the end I rebooted
from the liveCD and used the disk utility to manually remove all of the
partitions on the HDD and then re-installed from the minimal DVD.  That seems
to have returned the partition table to something I am more comfortable with.

Canada  L8E 3C3