[CentOS] Not To James B. Byrne

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 17:52:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Darr247 <darr247 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may be onto something, because I *am* using IMAP (TB's default during
> account setup) instead of POP3.
>
> I'll be looking around in gmail next to see if there's some way to pre-sort
> mail from centos.org (as Miranda implied) before whatever mail app I'm using
> at the time fetches it.

I've used an assortment of methods over the years including using
fetchmail to drop in my own imap server host before gmail had imap
itself.  But, I've given up on thinking I can do it better than google
does.

> I have never seen an online email interface I liked, so I don't spend much
> time in gmail's.

I've grown to like gmail's web interface - or at least tolerate the
parts I don't like to get the part I do - which is mostly the raw
search capability that I use in favor of trying to categorize
anything, plus the fact that it is always in perfect sync with my
android phone where I read a lot but rarely type long replies.  Try
going into configuration settings to tune it more to your liking.  You
may want some of the 'labs' options.  In particular I don't think I
would like it without the auto-advance after archiving/deleting (that
is, go to the next message instead of redrawing the index list).

> One of the things that drove me to linux (and I liked rpm/yum better than
> dpkg/apt) was microsoft disabling Windows Mail in Win7 to force people to
> use their online 'Live' email.

Given that you can use thunderbird on windows, that doesn't make much
sense, but linux isn't a bad desktop these days.

The main thing that keeps me from using an email 'application' for
personal email is that I use an assortment of different machines
during the day and don't want to be tied to one or deal with the
differences in the way the apps would work across windows/linux/mac
versions even if I went to the trouble to install it and configure
imap sync everywhere. Plus, I really don't want to sync the huge 'all
mail' archived folder but I want searches to go there.   And, if you
haven't used gmail/yahoo/hotmail (now outlook.com) for a while you
might be surprised at how well the new web interfaces work and how
much you can customize them.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com