[CentOS] Centos7 Net install on HP A1710N fails

Anthony K akcentos at anroet.com
Wed Nov 19 02:53:19 UTC 2014

On 19/11/14 12:18, SilverTip257 wrote:
> @Anthony,
> Thanks for sharing your examples.
> I've gotten spoiled by using the "ip addr show" shortcut of "ip a s".  So
> much so that I try to do "ip l s" for "ip link show", which doesn't work.
> Given the error message: Not enough information: "dev" argument is
> required. I figure ip tools thinks I'm attempting to set something on the
> interface.  Anyhow, your "ip l l" shortcut appears (see my manpage comment
> below) to evaluate to "ip link list", which is awesome!  Shortcuts for the
> win.
>
> On a CentOS 6.6 system per the ip manpage, it seems that "list" is
> undocumented for link and addr.
>
> (Certainly correct me if I'm wrong ... I did find a TLDP page with an
> example of "ip link list", so it's known by some.)

Thanks Mike.

I use Ubuntu on the laptop and in the manpage for the ip command it has
the following:

COMMAND
        ...*As a rule, it is possible to add,**
**       delete and **show (or list )**objects, but some objects do not
allow all**
**       of these operations or have some additional commands.* ...

Seems to be vaguely documented - I can see how *(or list )* part can be
misleading as you might think they are just saying that show
_will_list_  and not necessary that *list* can be substituted for *show*
- it's all in the wording!

Oddly, the man page for ip (iproute-2.6.18-13.el5) on CentOS 5 is way
more comprehensive (it has way more examples on where list can be used)
than that on Ubuntu 14.04.1 with iproute-3.12.0-2! But then, Ubuntu has
a man page for each ip object:

$ man ip-<tab>
ip-address      ip-monitor      ip-ntable       ip-tunnel
ip-addrlabel    ip-mroute       ip-route        ip-xfrm
ip-l2tp         ip-neighbour    ip-rule
ip-link         ip-netconf      ip-tcp_metrics
ip-maddress     ip-netns        ip-token

Cheers,
ak.