[CentOS] Centos7 Net install on HP A1710N fails

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:18:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Anthony K <akcentos at anroet.com> wrote:

> On 16/11/14 11:16, david wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>> I'm at a loss of what to do next, namely
>>  - How do I tell Centos that there's a NIC, and how do I configure it?
>>
>> PS:  There is no GUI, and the command line display is very tiny.
>>
>> Guidance would be appreciated.

Anthony K's suggestions will not be persistent (won't last a
shutdown/reboot).  But they will be enough to regain network access and SSH
into the system from the comfort of your workstation/laptop.

> 1. Get list of interfaces that are up:
> ip l l
>
> Then load the module:
> modprobe forcedeth

@Anthony,
Thanks for sharing your examples.
I've gotten spoiled by using the "ip addr show" shortcut of "ip a s".  So
much so that I try to do "ip l s" for "ip link show", which doesn't work.
Given the error message: Not enough information: "dev" argument is
required. I figure ip tools thinks I'm attempting to set something on the
interface.  Anyhow, your "ip l l" shortcut appears (see my manpage comment
below) to evaluate to "ip link list", which is awesome!  Shortcuts for the
win.

On a CentOS 6.6 system per the ip manpage, it seems that "list" is
undocumented for link and addr.

(Certainly correct me if I'm wrong ... I did find a TLDP page with an
example of "ip link list", so it's known by some.)

--
Mike