[CentOS] older distro have newer package in base repo

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Nov 21 09:03:31 UTC 2014

On 11/20/2014 04:53 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:

> Just wondering why in EL5's base repo the latest supported mysql
> package is 5.5 and in EL6's base repo it is 5.1? Seems strange to me.
>
> (it is clear that the SCL of EL6 has version 5.5 but that implies a
> different update policy).
>
> --
> LF

similarly, EL6 now has mdadm-3.3 whereas EL7 has mdadm-3.2 .

mdadm-3.3 supports the badblock log (bbl), whereas mdadm-3.2 doesn't.
This is something to consider - one could/should use EL6's mdadm to
create an md device on a EL7 system. This is future-proof in the sense
that the EL7 kernel will then be able to use the bbl, and hopefully RH
will include mdadm-3.3 in EL7.1 .

best,
Kay