[CentOS] No sound hardware detected for other users

Sat Nov 1 21:24:48 UTC 2014
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

Hey Y'all,

This morning my wife complained that she had no sound when she was
logged on to my machine.  I logged on to her account and brought up
System/Preferences/Sound to see if she had inadvertently selected some
other sound output device.  Hey, it happens.  There was no sound
hardware detected.  I have a USB microphone and an integrated on board
sound card.  Neither of these sound devices were available on the
Hardware, Input, or Output tabs.

I have access to all these devices when I log on as myself.

This system has been running smoothly since I installed CentOS 6.1 all
those many years ago when that was the current point release.  Now that
6.6 is out I'm seeing issues with video, fixed already, sound, not fixed
already, and my web cam which I have yet to ask for help with.  I'm not
saying this sound problem has anything to do with 6.6.

Does anyone have any idea where I can start looking to figure out what's
going on with my wife's sound hardware detection?

--
    _
   °v°