[CentOS] No sound hardware detected for other users

Sat Nov 1 23:29:33 UTC 2014

On Sat, November 1, 2014 4:24 pm, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> This morning my wife complained that she had no sound when she was
> logged on to my machine.  I logged on to her account and brought up
> System/Preferences/Sound to see if she had inadvertently selected some
> other sound output device.  Hey, it happens.  There was no sound
> hardware detected.  I have a USB microphone and an integrated on board
> sound card.  Neither of these sound devices were available on the
> Hardware, Input, or Output tabs.
>
> I have access to all these devices when I log on as myself.
>
> This system has been running smoothly since I installed CentOS 6.1 all
> those many years ago when that was the current point release.  Now that
> 6.6 is out I'm seeing issues with video, fixed already, sound, not fixed
> already, and my web cam which I have yet to ask for help with.  I'm not
> saying this sound problem has anything to do with 6.6.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I can start looking to figure out what's
> going on with my wife's sound hardware detection?

First thing I would check is that other users are not logged in when user
in question logs in. (It may be that only one of users at a time can
access some of the devices - I'm on the road so have no way to check...)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago