[CentOS] Slow access from Windows 7 to samba share on CentOS 6.6 after upgrade

Thu Nov 13 06:58:06 UTC 2014
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Hi all,

Did anybody notice a really slow access from Windows 7 (especially from the MS Office suite) when trying to open a Word-doc for example, that sits on a  samba share on a computer recently upgraded to CentOS 6.6?
It can take up to two-three minutes to open a 20 kB Word-doc...

I tested with the latest available LibreOffice for Windows on the same Word-docs, but this one doesn't show this sluggishness.

Also opening PDF-documents on the samba share with Adobe Reader from Win7 gives this problem.

Opening e.g. jpegs and regular plain text files with Irfanview and Notepad++ respectively is just fine.

Pre-CentOS 6.6 opening any file on the samba share from Windows was lightning-fast.

I'm not too sure where to start trouble-shooting. I've tried disabling the TCP autotune on Windows for starters, which a small improvement, but what next?

Hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
BW,
	Sorin
# Sorin Srbu, Sysadmin
# Uppsala University
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry
# Div of Org Pharm Chem
# Box 574
# SE-75123 Uppsala
# Sweden
#
# Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482
# Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
# Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# MotD follows:
# If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.