[CentOS] yum problem with glibc.i686 -- was "Anyone have a Brother multifunction working...?"

Sun Nov 23 22:19:06 UTC 2014
Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM, Negative <negativebinomial at gmail.com>
wrote:

    On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com>
wrote:

        On 11/12/2014 10:54 PM, Peter wrote:
        > On 11/13/2014 12:10 PM, Negative wrote:
        >> I have a Brother MFC 7360N, and it is refusing to print.
        > I have a DCP-540CN which is a similar but I think older network
printer.
        >  I haven't tried it on CentOS 7 yet, but got it to work with
Fedora 18
        > and 19 which are very similar.  I do recall having to create an
selinux
        > policy to get it to work, so that may very well be your issue.
        >

        > Peter

        Usually it should just work. But you might need to run restorecon
-R -v
        /usr after the install to set the SELinux labels correctly.

    I've continued to try to get this going, but no luck so far.

    I've tried the Brother installer script and it fails to set up the
printer, after complained that I need the 32-bit libraries.  That's from
the rpm, mfc7360nlpr from Brother.

    When I try to install glibc.i686, it complains that I need an older
glibc-common, and trying to step back on glibc-common didn't work because
of a bunch of dependencies.  I'm just not sure if it's a good idea to
install the glibc.i686 with nodeps, and see what happens.
    I've had no luck setting this up manually. Besides not printing, the
scanner won't work, which is why I want this printer.

    The printer had been connected via usb to a Centos 5x machine and just
installed, no problem, scanner and all.

This is definitely nothing more than a version problem with glibc.i686. I
had some time today, and easily set up the printer -- networked -- on a
Fedora 20 system, and a Centos 6 system. Both are 64-bit machines, and I
had no problem putting glibc.i686 on them. After that the Brother installer
did all the work.

But on the machine in question, the only glibc.i686 that yum finds is
glibc-2.17-55.el7 in base, but the trouble is that my glibc-common was
updated to glibc-common 2.17-55.el7_0.1.x86_64 from updates.

Is there a compatible update to glibc.i686? I would've thought there'd be
one in updates when glibc-common was updated.
I tried installing glibc with nodeps, and I tried downgrading glibc-common,
but yum refused.

Part of the problem is some multimedia packages installed from nux.

Barry