[CentOS] Bounced email processing

Wed Nov 5 09:55:41 UTC 2014
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: Reindl Harald Sent: November 5, 2014 01:22
> Am 05.11.2014 um 02:07 schrieb Hugh E Cruickshank:
> > From: John R Pierce Sent: November 4, 2014 16:53
> bounced emails.
> >>
> >> what do you want to do DO with these bounced mails?
> >
> > Our application software generates emails on behalf of our clients.
> > Currently I have to manually processes any bounce messages
> which is a
> > real waste of my time. I would like to be able to intercept
> the bounce
> > messages and provide a summary of these to our application
> which could
> > then notify the appropriate client (or at the very least
> make a note of
> > the bounce)
>
> just parse the *maillog* instead

That would only be effective for bounce messages that were generated
by our mail server (in the case of messages that were immediately
rejected by the foreign mail server when our mail server attempted to
hand the messages off). It would not work for messages that were
initially accepted for delivery but were subsequently returned as
being non-deliverable.

It is on my list of "things to do" to extract the maillog entries for
any application generated emails. We currently log the dialog between
our application and our email server when delivery of the message is
initiated however we are missing the handoff from our mail server to
the foreign mail server. The maillog information would then be recorded
in our database for use by our support staff and possibly client staff
(although the client access part is still under consideration).

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com