[CentOS] Bounced email processing

Wed Nov 5 13:39:33 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:

>> just parse the *maillog* instead
>
> That would only be effective for bounce messages that were generated
> by our mail server (in the case of messages that were immediately
> rejected by the foreign mail server when our mail server attempted to
> hand the messages off). It would not work for messages that were
> initially accepted for delivery but were subsequently returned as
> being non-deliverable.

Are there still servers that accept undeliverable mail and generate
messages later?   That behavior makes them an easy target for spammers
who send the real target address as the From: entry and will likely
get them blacklisted.

> It is on my list of "things to do" to extract the maillog entries for
> any application generated emails.

I'd expect the bulk of failures to be there, but your own server
should generate and deliver the bounce along with logging it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com