[CentOS] CROSS-LIST Notice: Changes in EPEL

Wed Nov 5 10:29:16 UTC 2014
Jake Shipton <jakems at fedoraproject.org>

On 05/11/14 07:04, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tuesday, November 4, 2014, 1:43:50 PM, you wrote:
>
>> TL;DR: There are a large number of orphaned/unmaintained packages in
>> EPEL across the 5, 6, and 7 trees. These packages will be removed from
>> EPEL unless they are picked up by a packager. Packages that *depend* on
>> an orphaned package will be removed as well to ensure repo-closure.
>
> sorry for being so ignorant. I try to figure out what impact that has
> on a running system. I expect that this package cannot be updated from
> now on, but I hope that nothing catastrophic for an existing
> installation happens.
>
> Is that assumption correct?
>
>  best regards
> ---
> Michael Schumacher

Hi Michael,

Yes, in almost all situations running systems will never be affected by
a package being dropped from a repository.

If a system already has the package installed, and said package is
already working then the package being removed from the repository
should have no affect on your system what-so-ever.

However the following will be broken:

1) Automated kickstart installations which connect to EPEL to grab the
package as it won't be able to find the package to install it.

2) The ability to install the package on a new/reinstalled system (yum
install package)

3) The ability to reinstall the package (yum reinstall package)

4) The ability to get updated versions of the package (yum update package)

Aside from the above, it should not brake anything else.

The only time I think it would become an issue is if you updated from
say EL8.0 to EL8.1 and the existing package stopped being compatible for
some reason or other. This would mean the package would not receive an
update to fix the compatibility unless someone grabbed the orphaned
package and started to maintain it again, or you fixed it yourself.

I'd recommend grabbing any orphaned package RPMs and SRPMs so you can
still use them later if needed.

Either that or volunteer to maintain the package you need :-).

Hope this clears things up for you :-).

Kind Regards,
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F