[CentOS] Non-Gnome desktop

Tue Nov 11 17:34:00 UTC 2014
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Mon, November 10, 2014 15:00, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2014-11-10, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>

> Try including the session manager in the startx invocation, e.g.,
>
> 	startx /usr/bin/mate-session
>
> (Or whaterever the MATE session manager is called. I'm guessing the
> above by analogy with gnome-session.)

Yes! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now, to test this I removed Gnome3 rather than start over with a fresh
install. So it is possible that installing Gnome Desktop makes some
configuration change of which I am unaware that permits Mate to work
thereafter.  However, using startx /usr/bin/mate-session does indeed bring up
the Mate desktop without Gnome3 installed.

This whole exercise in frustration was due to the fact that I am singularly
unimpressed with the Gnome3 experience.  Others have made all the arguments
and comments respecting its opaqueness and inflexibility that I can think of;
and quite a few more besides. So, suffice to say, it will not be installed
here.

What I cannot understand is why an Enterprise Distro is packaging an evidently
tablet based GUI to begin with.  Where do they think RHEL gets installed; cell
phones?

Canada  L8E 3C3