[CentOS] Non-Gnome desktop

Tue Nov 11 18:22:36 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

>> Try including the session manager in the startx invocation, e.g.,
>>
>>       startx /usr/bin/mate-session
>>
>> (Or whaterever the MATE session manager is called. I'm guessing the
>> above by analogy with gnome-session.)
>>

> Yes! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
>
> Now, to test this I removed Gnome3 rather than start over with a fresh
> install. So it is possible that installing Gnome Desktop makes some
> configuration change of which I am unaware that permits Mate to work
> thereafter.  However, using startx /usr/bin/mate-session does indeed bring up
> the Mate desktop without Gnome3 installed.
>
> This whole exercise in frustration was due to the fact that I am singularly
> unimpressed with the Gnome3 experience.  Others have made all the arguments
> and comments respecting its opaqueness and inflexibility that I can think of;
> and quite a few more besides. So, suffice to say, it will not be installed
> here.
>
> What I cannot understand is why an Enterprise Distro is packaging an evidently
> tablet based GUI to begin with.  Where do they think RHEL gets installed; cell
> phones?

I've always heard that managing software developers is like herding
cats - so the direction goes more or less toward what someone wants to
write instead of what would be most useful.    I mostly run remote
sessions under x2go, where gnome3 won't work at all so I'm using MATE
on CentOS 7.  But I don't really object to having the gnome desktop
installed if it brings along settings and maybe some applications to
help things work.   Disk space is cheap.

--
     Les Mikesell
        lesmikesell at gmail.com