[CentOS] Not To James B. Byrne

Thu Nov 13 17:00:35 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I would second that. In general, it is rather discouraging to hear: "hey,
> fix that thing on your side. Of course, I can make your mail not go into
> my spambox on my side, but I don't care to change anything on my side".
> Well if you do care to have someone's e-mail, put some effort in it.
> Otherwise, if you don't care that much about that person's e-mail, why
> making all that buzz? It's pretty much the same as: if I do care someone
> hears understands what I say I do put effort into speaking loud enough and
> intelligible enough.

So you'd make some imaginary value judgement about the content of an
email before seeing it?  The concept doesn't make much sense in the
context of a technical list.  How would you know whether it is a
question you couldn't answer anyway  or the answer you were waiting
for that might have gone unseen?

> Consider it a point of view of external observer.

I look at my spam folder regularly, because I know that automations
generally make mistakes and what I find confirms that.  But that lets
one person see it - if he knows he was missing it in the first place.
If you are the one posting a message to a list and you'd like people
to see it, it would currently be wise to not send from an address
where the domain requests that messages forwarded by other systems be
quarantined or rejected.   And if you are running a list and would
like the members to see the messages you forward, it would be nice to
use current software so that actually will happen instead of just
hoping that all of the members know how to work around the problems
old software causes.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com