[CentOS] yum-plugin-security

Sat Nov 22 22:41:17 UTC 2014
Gabriele Pohl <gp at dipohl.de>

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:17:59 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:52:30 +0100
> Gabriele Pohl wrote:
> >
> > because I want the alert for my individual machines.
> > So the proposed method is no solution
> > for an automagical trigger :)
>
> You still can do that without expending too much effort.

Although the proposal you made is /possible/ to implement,
I will not do it, because I think that this is
the wrong way to solve the issue.

> One way would be to monitor centos-announce, parse the subject lines,
> copy the security update filenames to a text or database file.
> (sqlite is made for this kind of thing.)
> You can either keep a list on each machine or have a central data repository,
> whichever suits you best.

Pardon me, but I think it is madness to maintain the info outside of yum.

And your method is not suitable to use within Munin monitoring.
And a Munin capable solution is what I am looking for with highest priority.

> Then all you need to do is have each machine run "yum check-update"
> on whatever timed basis you wish.  Capture the list of pending updates,
> compare it against your database, and then do your thing.

I don't like to spend time in creating ugly workarounds..
and therefore would highly appreciate if the CentOS-Developers
will add the data to the yum repositories.
Then I can use Munin to monitor the pending security packages
also for CentOS as now only for my RHEL machines.

All the best and thanks again,

Gabriele