[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS-7 on a new partition

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Oct 27 14:31:51 UTC 2014

Ted Miller wrote:

> I have gotten in the habit of either creating or leaving unused some space
> on any disk that might be used as a boot disk, rather than committing all
> the space to LVM.  That way I have something to work with if I need "yet
> another" boot partition.

A bit ignorant of me, but is there nowadays any restriction
on the choice of boot partition?
I don't use LVM (having had some catastrophes several years ago)
and always create a small boot partition among the first 3 partitions:
  sda1 Windows (does MS still require this?
  sda2 /boot
  sda3 swap
  sda4 extended partition
I guess this methodology is probably long extinct?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net