[CentOS] Upgrading to CentOS-7 on a new partition

Ted Miller tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 28 01:54:53 UTC 2014

On 10/27/2014 10:31 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ted Miller wrote:
>
>> I have gotten in the habit of either creating or leaving unused some space
>> on any disk that might be used as a boot disk, rather than committing all
>> the space to LVM.  That way I have something to work with if I need "yet
>> another" boot partition.
>
> A bit ignorant of me, but is there nowadays any restriction
> on the choice of boot partition?
> I don't use LVM (having had some catastrophes several years ago)
> and always create a small boot partition among the first 3 partitions:
>    sda1 Windows (does MS still require this?
>    sda2 /boot
>    sda3 swap
>    sda4 extended partition
> I guess this methodology is probably long extinct?

Nothing keeps you from doing it that way, but many of us have gotten used
to (and comfortable with) the abstraction layer possible with LVM.  Never
had any problem with it, and happen to like it.

With grub and grub2, there is no reason to put /boot in a separate
partition.  That goes back to the days of LILO, when it could only read the
first xx megabytes of a disk drive.  Both versions of grub are quite
comfortable reaching to the back of a big disk to pull up your /boot files.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA