[CentOS] "No free sectors available" while try to extend logical volumen in a virtual machine running CentOS 6.5

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 03:51:56 UTC 2014

On 10/27/2014 02:56 PM, reynierpm at gmail.com wrote:
> I also check the free available space using vgdisplay and watching the Free
> PE / Size part near the end and seems like I've free space available (Free
> PE / Size 7670 / 29.96 GiB) so I tried to extend the LV by using the
> command:lvextend -L+29G /dev/vg_devserver/lv_root but I got some errors and
> don't know where to go from here. The first error I see at console is
> this /dev/root:
> read failed after 0 of 4096 at 27522957312: Input/output error /dev/root:
> read failed after 0 of 4096 at 27523014656: Input/output error Couldn't
> find device with uuid vSbuSJ-o1Kh-N3ur-JYkM-Ktr4-WEO2-JWe2wS. Cannot change
> VG vg_devserver while PVs are missing. Consider vgreduce --removemissing.

Those I/O errors are alarming.  They suggest that you have a disk that is
failing.  Does anything about disk sda appear in /var/log/messages when
you do that?  You should indeed have 29GB available for growing lv_root,
but perhaps the disk error is what is preventing the tool from finding
the LV's UUID.

                 Do NOT delete it.