[CentOS] Wow! Double wow!

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Oct 30 13:45:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 08:00:16AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> If I remember Unix world, patching almost never led to downtime and almost
> always could be accomplished in presence of users logged in.

RHEL has kpatch:
http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2014/02/26/kpatch/

Technologies like kpatch, ksplice, kGraft, etc. will make it so you
don't have to reboot to get kernel patches.  However, I'm more
concerned with updating software like glibc, openssl, nss, etc. for
running processes.  It doesn't matter if you're running Linux or
FreeBSD or other UNIXes, if you update the underlying software
applications and libraries under the user's processes, there's always
a chance (and quite likely) that something will break.