[CentOS] Centos laptop support

Thu Oct 2 16:23:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, October 2, 2014 10:48 am, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-10-02, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since it has now become amazingly difficult to get a laptop if you're
>> not planning to use Windows, at least around here, I'm wondering what
>> the rest of you fine folks do when it comes to purchasing a laptop?
>> Next time this comes up, I'd rather not have to spend all day on
>> something that used to take fifteen minutes.
>
> I know this is probably a bit sacrilegious, but recently I have been
> tending to get a Mac laptop, and run any linux distributions I need
> inside a VM.  OS X is (just barely) tolerable enough to be usable for
> most of my desktop purposes.  (It's not really cost-effective compared
> to non-Apple laptops, unfortunately.)

Somebody said: having mac is like driving Ferrari. Subaru or Ford will get
you there as well, so you just pay extra for chic.

<rant>

Having said that, I do have mac (paid by the Department) so I can support
Mac users (and give exact instructions). My particular model of MacBook
Pro has known NVIDIA problem (you can search for that): with latest MacOS
it kernel panics inside nvidia driver (let's call it: nvidia driver is
incompatible with that chip). So: 4 years old decently capable hardware
can not be used with latest system. And Apple would not fix that as these
machines are beyond 3 year of Apple "protection plan". I reject
suggestions to stay with system one version older: the only reason for
this laptop was for me to give mac users (whom my job is to recommend to
get latest system + updates) exact directions, so _I_ have to have latest
system for that. Therefore strong decision not to invest into any Apple
hardware whenever possible.

</rant>

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev