[CentOS] Centos laptop support

Thu Oct 2 18:16:10 UTC 2014
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2014-10-02, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, October 2, 2014 10:48 am, Keith Keller wrote:
>>
>> I know this is probably a bit sacrilegious, but recently I have been
>> tending to get a Mac laptop, and run any linux distributions I need
>> inside a VM.  OS X is (just barely) tolerable enough to be usable for
>> most of my desktop purposes.  (It's not really cost-effective compared
>> to non-Apple laptops, unfortunately.)
>
> Somebody said: having mac is like driving Ferrari. Subaru or Ford will get
> you there as well, so you just pay extra for chic.

I agree to a point.  To extend the analogy further (perhaps too far), I
pay a lot for my Ferrari, but I don't have to spend days researching
whether I should get Subaru, or Ford, or Toyota, and then I don't have
to spend days or weeks fighting to get my Toyota working (and, likely,
regretting that I didn't get a Ford) because I really really refuse to
use the default Toyota engine.

If getting OS X to do what I want were any more difficult, I would
abandon it.  So really I'm paying extra for laziness.

(FWIW, and not really on-topic, in my home environment my family has
apps that only run on OS X, so that locks me in there.  And at work,
much of my group is on OS X, so I get benefit from being on the same
platform as my colleagues.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us