[CentOS] Problem with WRT54GL router

Tue Oct 7 12:52:43 UTC 2014
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 01:27:18PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> >> How did you reboot the router, as a matter of interest.
> >> Is there any of doing this from an ethernet-connected computer?
>
> > Well, I think it wasn't the genuine firmware, but dd-wrt. There's a
> > cronjob menu in the webinterface and you can also edit them by telnet.
>
> Thanks for your response.
> But have you actually done this?
> If so, could you be a bit more explicit, please?
>
> I was just looking at my dd-wrt router's web-page,
> and I see that Remote Access is disabled
> in Administration=>Management.

Remote Access means that you (or anyone else who knows the password)
can log in to the router from the WAN, i.e., the outside as compared
to your LAN or inside, of the router and do whatever they want. It is
safest to always leave that as disabled if you don't have some
overriding reason to allow it.

> Probably that is why I don't seem able to access it with telnet;
> and even if I could do, I'm not sure I would know
> how to edit a file with telnet ...

Been a while since I've used dd-wrt, so I don't swear this is full truth,
but I think there are options in the UI for enabling or disabling telnet
and/or SSH. The default settings (if you haven't changed 'em) ought to
be enabled for telnet and disabled for SSH, but of course you can change
'em to suit your needs.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.