[CentOS] Systemd Adding Its Own Console To Linux Systems

Wed Oct 8 18:18:21 UTC 2014

Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
> On 08-10-2014 14:36, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a heads up to those who haven't seen this yet. The main author of
>>> systemd publicly wrote about being basically persecuted.
>>>
>>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LennartPoetteringTheOneAndOnly/posts/J2TZrTvu7vd
>>
>> But oddly, he didn't even mention that there would be a real simple
>> solution - just add backwards-compatible improvements instead of
>> actively wrecking the interfaces everyone else had depended on for
>> decades.
>
> "decades". That, by itself, already calls for an update, no?

Why? Do you ride a bicycle differently, or drive differently, than you did
say, 20 years ago? You went out and bought a recumbent, or an electric
car?

While we're at it, can you tell me how much better a brand new microwave,
with 20 touch-buttons for misguessing how long to cook something, is
better than the old microwave I used to have that had a "cook/defrost"
dial, and a timer dial?
<snip>
> Like for firewalld and systemd, as they were already mentioned in here.
> It's hard _just because_ it's different. But wait, wasn't iptables
> different from ipchains? And is nftables going to be as the same as
> iptables? No, of course not. There are features in nftables that you
> can't put into iptables cleanly, so you need a new workflow on it.

Actually, I struggled with ipchains, and found iptables much simpler. I've
yet to see anyone suggest that systemd is "simpler".

       mark