[CentOS] creating a floppy image from a linux file

Tue Oct 21 16:49:35 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Dan Hyatt <dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu> wrote:

> My chicken and egg.
>
> I was hoping to
> 1. create a baseline image that I can clone
> 2. get a centos image on a VM guest, have my own management servers
> (including pxe boot) that I own and control.
>

> Once I have one or two, I can expand my private cloud as large as I
> want...and building new guest servers will take minutes.

Please don't top-post. ;-)

1) yes, if you include the kickstart in an ISO, you'll have to modify ISOs
for each release that comes out.

2) I'd suggest discounting the idea of a floppy image and go for a PXE
server.

3) Your problems with a PXE server are probably for two reasons:  a) you
don't control the network, so the boot file is not set ; b) you don't have
VMware's networking configured properly.

4) Simple solution (_within your control_):
    Make a separate bridge via VMware for a "kickstart network".
    Build one VM manually and set up DHCP/TFTP/DNS
Forwarder/HTTP/ip_forward/NAT Masquerading.  Put one NIC in your NATted
VMware bridge (or another bridge that facilitates reaching the Internet
(unless you run your own package mirror on that "manual VM").  Put the
other NIC in that "kickstart network" bridge ... make HTTP (for pulling the
config), DHCP, and TFTP listen on that interface and that interface only.
Spin up your remaining VMs via PXE.

This takes some work up front, but it will save you time in the long run.
Changing a kickstart config or adding a new one is painless.